Weekly Update: May 4
Spotlight: This week we’ll be talking to Canadian Astronaut Jenni Sidey-Gibbons on Instagram Live! Check out that and more awesome STEM content we’ve put together for you below in this week’s update.
Here are this week’s highlighted STEM activities from the Actua network, as well as others we recommend! For more content, visit our network member websites and Actua’s full library of curated STEM resources.
Please join us this week for live events:
- #LIVEwithJennifer: Parents and kids! Join Actua’s CEO Jennifer Flanagan for a special live interview with Canadian Space Agency Astronaut Dr. Jenni Sidey-Gibbons on Friday, May 8 at 11:30 a.m. EDT. Join by visiting Actua’s Instagram Profile (actua_canada) and pressing our story.
Note: Send us you and your kids’ questions by commenting on our #LIVEwithJennifer social media post!
- The Couch Potato Lab: Join Actua’s network member EYES at the University of Regina daily at 1 p.m. CST for their Couch Potato Lab livestream on YouTube, 1-hr investigations into all things STEM for all ages. Make sure to visit bit.ly/couchpotatolab to download your lab manual and join the conversation on social media with #CouchPotatoLab. You can find their previous streams here.
- Discover the Universe: Discover the Universe is hosting live events every weekday at 2:00 p.m. EDT on YouTube covering a wide variety of astronomy-related subjects and often feature fascinating guest speakers. Ideal for grades 3-6.
With school closures due to COVID-19, parents are facing a suite of new challenges. Here are some helpful articles and interviews that can help you navigate this unprecedented time:
Parents, Let Yourselves Off the Hook for Screen Time (article)
Cyber Safety Tips from Data Privacy Expert Cat Coode (video)
Tips to keep kids on top of their studying (video)
Educating Kids at Home (video)
Mark Your Calendars
- Every Friday at 11:30 a.m. EDT: #LIVEwithJennifer – Tune in each Friday for a special Instagram live interview with Actua’s CEO Jennifer Flanagan and special guest.
- For Teachers on Friday, May 15: Join Actua Network Member Geering Up at University of British Columbia who will be hosting a live Online Pro-D Day for Artificial Intelligence & Design Thinking (registration necessary). Will explore both tech and unplugged ways to bring these concepts into classrooms – based on BC curriculum but other educators welcome
Follow us on social media for more STEM content
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube
Be sure to also follow our network member accounts!
Thanks to our supporters! STEM education has never been more important. To all of our funders, we thank you for your continued support as we pivot to provide STEM at home learning. Your unwavering commitment is helping thousands of Canadian youth.