Weekly Update: June 15
Spotlight: Leading up to National Indigenous Peoples Day on Sunday, we’ve compiled a list of activities focusing on InSTEM (Indigenous Youth in STEM) content and resources.
Here are this week’s highlighted STEM activities from the Actua network! For more content, visit our network member websites and Actua’s full library of curated STEM resources.
- For youth grades K-12: Take part in our popular Community Mapping activity to identify where STEM takes place in your own community.
- For youth grades K-6: Our network member Superior Science, based at Lakehead University, created the ultimate InSTEM nature walk activity that is perfect to connect with the local environment and explore biodiversity. They also produced video walk-through to help facilitate this activity. In the words of Chief Seattle: “Take only memories, leave only footprints”. More of their activities are available here.
- For youth grades K-9: Explore Indigenous art through STEM activities with our network member TRACKS at Trent University’s arts and crafts library. All the STEM at home resources can be found here.
- For youth grades 1-8: Join our network member Aboriginal Access to Engineering at Queen’s University’s online InSTEM@Home programming for Indigenous youth.
- #LiveWithJennifer – June 19: Join Jennifer and Deanna Burgart, President of Indigenous Engineering Inclusion Inc. and co-founder of IndigeSTEAM on Friday at 11:30 a.m. EDT for a discussion around the importance of Indigenous Youth inclusion in STEAM fields. Catch their conversation by visiting Actua’s Instagram Profile (@actua_canada) and pressing our story.
Actua and Canadore College launch Virtual Indigenous STEAM For-Credit Training Program (release)
Indigenous People Have Always Known About STEM (video)
On-the-land STEM program for high school credit to expand to northern Indigenous communities (article)
Land camp program prepares youth for work (article)
Follow us on social media for more STEM content
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube
Be sure to also follow our network member accounts!
Thank you to our supporters!
STEM education has never been more important. To all of our funders, we thank you for your continued support as we pivot to provide STEM at home learning. Your unwavering commitment is helping thousands of Canadian youth.