STEM & Innovation
Spotlight: This week we’ll be talking to Doug Braden from InkSmith about their pivot from creating STEAM education materials to PPE on Instagram Live. Be sure to check out that and more in this week’s Actua at Home update.
Here are this week’s highlighted STEM activities from the Actua network, as well as others we recommend! For more content, visit our network member websites and Actua’s full library of curated STEM resources.
- For youth grades K-12: Our network member Virtual Ventures offers a wide variety of at-home STEM activities that are easy to accomplish with common household items!
- For youth grades K-12: Starting Monday May 11, our network member Geering Up is starting their two week long Daily Activities Club! Make sure to register to their science and coding club here.
- For youth grades 5 and up: Create art using geometry with our STEAM tessellation activity!
- For youth in grade 7 and higher: Learn more about 3D modeling with InkSmith’s mini lessons designed to have youth brainstorm a solution for a problem they have and then 3D model that solution.
- For youth grades K-12, May 13: Our network member X-Chem will be holding their first YouTube live event Wednesday May 13th at 1pm ADT. Tune in live to learn about boat building and which designs float best with weight added to them. A moderated Q&A interactive chat will be included.
- For Teachers on Friday, May 15: Join Actua network member Geering Up at University of British Columbia who will be hosting a live Online Pro-D Day for Artificial Intelligence & Design Thinking (registration necessary). You will explore both tech and unplugged ways to bring these concepts into classrooms – based on BC curriculum but all educators are welcome!
- #LIVEwithJennifer, May 15: Join Actua’s CEO Jennifer Flanagan for a special live interview with Doug Braden, Chief Technology Officer at InkSmith on Friday, May 15 at 11:30 a.m. EDT about how they have shifted from creating education technology to PPE! Join by visiting Actua’s Instagram Profile (@actua_canada) and pressing our story.
- Missed last week’s conversation with Astronaut Jenni Sidey-Gibbons? Check it out HERE on our YouTube channel!
With school closures due to COVID-19, parents are facing a suite of new challenges. Here are some helpful articles and interviews that can help you navigate this unprecedented time:
Tips from the Math Guru on how to engage your kids in Math at Home (video)
Spending more time online during COVID pandemic means children are at greater risk of online exploitation (audio)
Mental Health – Supporting Kids Through COVID-19 (podcast)
Kids are online more than ever during the pandemic, creating ‘opportunity’ for predators (video)
Mark your calendars
Every Friday at 11:30 a.m. EDT: #LIVEwithJennifer – Tune in on our Instagram (@actua_canada) each Friday for a special live interview with Actua’s CEO Jennifer Flanagan and special guest.
Follow us on social media for more STEM content
Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube
Be sure to also follow our network member accounts!
Thank you to our supporters!
STEM education has never been more important. To all of our funders, we thank you for your continued support as we pivot to provide STEM at home learning. Your unwavering commitment is helping thousands of Canadian youth.